Beyers Naudè Square Cnr. Albertina Sisulu & Pixley ka Isaka Seme Street
(Temporarily closed for renovations until further notice)
The library opened its doors to the public in 1890, operating from several short-lived spaces provided, until a site was acquired in Kerk Street where it would stay for 40 years. The first building, a corrugated iron structure, was replaced by a new structure in 1898.
In 1923 the subscribers agreed to cede the library to the Johannesburg Town Council, and it became a free lending library. A new building was erected on the Market Square site – completed in 1935. The library closed for renovations (2009) and re-opened in 2012.
Johannesburg City Library consists of 8 Collections (African Studies, Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Young Adult Reference – YARL, Reference, Children’s Library, (including Children’s Book Collection for research), Adult Lending and the Newsroom). Other sections include the e-Classroom, and the Stacks.
The library is currently led by Assistant Director Mr Johannes Masenya, assisted by Manager; Mr Johannes Kgoadi and Administration Officer Prudence Chauke. There is a total of 50 permanent staff members.
*Email us for a detailed JCL profile.